Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fotolog - Confiture at Ile D'Orleans (Island of Orleans - Quebec)



Ile D'Orleans is a magical place covered with orchards and "cidreries" (like wineries, but they make cider... not sure what the English word for that would be). I was lucky enough to visit two cidreries while I was there, followed by a trip to an amazing waterfall about an hour away.

This is the owner of the first cidrerie we went to. He was a Belgian who immigrated to Canada. He actually found his orchard in full bloom before he bought it. It was on a piece of land no one was using at the time. He and his family decided to salvage the situation and created their beautiful cidrerie. I really wish I could remember the name right now... If I figure it out, I will let you know.




They make about 6 different ciders here, not to mention about 20 or so different types of mustards, jams, and confitures. The ciders vary in sweetness depending on the ingredients and when the apples were harvested. Some of the flavours included honey cider, maple cider and ice cider.




The confiture table included different mustards (regular, orange, terragon, honey, etc), as well as confitures (onion and carraway, onion and maple, etc) and preserves (various jams and marmalades). I wanted to buy everything, but there was no way I could fit it all in my suitcase, haha!




-A


P.S. Chute de Mont Morency (Mont Morency Waterfall)




What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment