Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Vegan TofuStu








After 4 years of being vegetarian, I finally decided to try my hand at preparing tofu. All you veggie-pro's are probably rolling your eyes at me, but this is something I've been averse to trying since I stopped eating meat. It probably has something to do with the fact that I've had some awful tofu experiences in the past (deep fried and soggy varieties), but I've finally worked up the courage to take a stab at it.

I've heard that the trick to tofu is all in the flavouring, so I think I just need to build a marinade/sauce repertoire. I wish I had a little more cooking experience just for this reason, but you've gotta start somewhere, right?

The recipe I tried is actually from the tofu brand (haha, lame right?) I made a tofu stew from the Sunrise Soya website. It actually didn't turn out too bad. I did overcook the potatoes a little bit and next time I'll try pre-cooking the tofu a little longer. But I used some homemade vegetable broth, so I think that scored some points in my corner! Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results. (This was actually also my very first stew!I'm breaking boundaries all over the place here :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment